Saturday, October 27, 2007

HIking

HI ALL,
Well today was beautiful fall day and very warm , Rob decided to take us on a hike. This is usually a guy ritual that they do in our house, but we decided to make it a family event, FINALLY! there are certain milestones on this particular hike that we went on, where the guys have actually named them. SO when we get to the first "milestone" it is called " Preston's Pass" b/c years ago when they first started going on this hike, they decided Preston must have been the youngest kid to ever go on this hike and be able to make it up such a steep hill. Then as you keep going, there is " bear claw" rock and then as you keep climbing up this steep hill made of rocks, there is " The Plate" as they call it--which is at the very top of the hill and it is a big flat rock that they usually eat their lunch at and take their break.There are really three different stages, as you climb up and get on the trail --the trail eventually stops--you have to choose going over the other side of the mountain or you choose to go up either side of the 2 adjoining mountains--one was far to steep for us girls---so we went up the one to our right, it had a 1.5 foot area to get up on this ledge, I barely made it thru to lift myself up, as the boys were cracking jokes about how they don't think I could get thru. ( although not very funny, I was actually scared I couldn't get thru!) so then once you get up that you once again, find somewhat flat ground, but you see this big mountain thing with a flat top, you have to climb up the side of that- (it had an even smaller area to climb thru and the first ledge was taller than I am )-to get the " The Plate" . JEri and I opted out of that and stayed behind while the boys and CLarissa went up.( Clarissa being hoisted by her Daddy!)
SO finally we decided to head back down the mountain. I made up just fine, no big deal, However on the way down, I fell about 5 times! A few of those times a few words came out of my mouth, that is not a normal vocabulary for me! BUt After awhile I got my grip and I made it down! whew! By the time we made to the last leg of our trip( meaning the trail again) CLarissa was jumping over little stones and what not, its official--she is one of the boys!
So we made it along with the guys and us girls got home in one piece!
SO now we are going to relax, for a bit and then go help Melissa paint her house after we eat dinner. SO I will check back later I hope you all are enjoying the beautiful weather!

3 comments:

Donna Hodgson said...

So, what? Your camera weighs too much to take along and then show your "friends", Preston's Pass, Bear Claw and the Plate by posting pictures on your blog?? Nooooooooo.....Oh, I get it. I'll just use my I M A G I N A T I O N !

Sheesh....:)

Charisma said...

DOnna, Donna, Donna
I took a disposable film camera because my digital is far to expesive to be rolling down the hill with..haha! I would have fallen on it about 5 times--then who knows how the pictures would have turned out! SHEESH is right!

Gladden Family said...

Aww what a cute family story!